Friday 24 August 2007

Am i asking too much?

I don’t want to be treated like a child.
I want respect.
I don’t want to be ‘trained’.
I want the opportunity to grow.
I don’t want to fester in a local day service, or in my home.
I want to be an active member of the community.
I don’t want pity or patronizing.
I want to be valued.
I don’t want neglect or abuse.
I want to feel safe.
I don’t want lack of resources to be an excuse.
I want a creative approach.
I don’t want institutionalised staff.
I want people who really care.
I don’t want people being complacent about my behaviour.
I want to be nurtured.
I don’t want special services.
I want opportunity.
I don’t want to ‘fit’ into existing services.
I want choice.
I don’t want to miss out because of risk assessment.
I want some fun.
I don’t want to be cured.
I want acceptance.
I don’t want charity.
I want integrity and dignity.
I don’t want to be disabled by society.


I just want what everyone else has

2 comments:

Ed said...

This is one of my all time favorites!
Really, This is so well put.

This is not too much to ask. I wish more people could just think of it the way this is expressed. Thanks

John-Michael said...

You struck a familiar nerve! The greatest conflict that I encountered (as the primary care-giver for my son [cerebral palsy]), was when I helped him reach the point of asking of his mom, sister, and grandparents, "Please respect me", and "Please listen to me." He was 30 at the time ... and they deeply resented being asked to treat him as an equal.

Thank you for this gift ... your blog is marvelous!