Monday, 11 April 2011

Deep pressure

I don’t know how many pairs of socks C has gone through - hopefully we may have solved this…..

=


First had to get into C’s world to work out why pulling up his socks every few yards had become a repetitive movement. Not good when in crowds or crossing roads. What need did it meet for him? Delay tactic? Anxiety? Sensory? Etc

Anxiety? Using
Intensive Interaction I tried pulling my socks up at the same time as C. When C does this he makes a very loud humming noise as he has to take his fingers out of his ears. So when I did it I made his happy sound a loud eeeek while looking at him reassuringly. It worked practically straight away. An amusing sight the pair of us bobbing up and down humming and eekkking. But I don’t care – if it helps C cope with his environment. And as I am focused on C I am not seeing the stares and judgements people are making, which I know happens anyway. Might even make some people think a bit differenlty??

But this didn’t seem to be enough so had to think of something more. Over the months C has been doing this I’ve tried different colour socks, seamless socks, trainer socks, expensive socks etc. Nothing made a difference and all socks would quickly end up falling down as with C’s impressive nails the elasticity doesn’t last long. It was suggested to put ‘wrist sweatbands’ over the top of C’s socks.




Worked a treat :)

Intensive Interaction isn’t just about mirroring but about feelings and motivations of what a person gets out of something. Connecting. Not just speaking their language but understanding it and responding.

Sensory? Dee
p pressure (from sweatbands - i did try them on my ankles first to make sure they wouldnt be be too tight)  – has a calming comforting soothing affect. Helping to decrease sensory input. C also enjoys brief deep massages – and really hard quick hugs. And he will wrap himself up tight in a quilt. Large beanbags and hammocks C also finds very calming. I’ve wondered about weighted blankets (but do be careful as one young boy died) and hug vests. The blanket cuddle swings look good as do the body socks

But for now sweat bands are helping.
Sweatbands may also be helpful for people who eat their cuffs – wish I had thought of that when C was younger!

Or maybe they work as they simply keep his socks up!    

35 comments:

Julie L. said...

Brilliant! :)

Joker the Lurcher said...

my son had the same habit for quite a long time. we didn't get the wrecked socks thing as he bites his nails (a habit he picked up from me!) but it made walking anywhere take forever. he sorted it out himself by adding an extra pair of socks over the top of the first pair and he now wears 2 pairs year round. i think with him it was that he has such skinny ankles that the socks were loose and 'flappy' (flappy clothing is a big no no both for him and his father!).

love the idea of wrist bands. we have used them in the past on his wrists for nausea and other things.

Debstar said...

Good to hear that you have found an easy solution to at least one problem.

Does C like to have his hands in water? I was thinking that if he would keep his hands in warm water, with a softener added, for long enough you might be able to peel those fingernails off.

Casdok said...

Debstar - no C wont keep his hands in water -we have tried that one.
But thanx :)

D.J.Kirkby said...

There is nothing more anoying than socks sliding down! I love, love, love it tha tyou thought to make C's happy noise for him, we all need a reminder to put a positive spin on distressing situations. You are such a fab mum....

Kristina Hughes said...

Totally brilliant! Looks like you've really found his language in Intensive Interaction. We have a cuff eating problem - will try the sweat bands xx

Looking for Blue Sky said...

Brilliant .. and useful. Will now add wristbands to my shopping list for Smiley - all her sleeves are full of holes from chewing :)

Crystal Jigsaw said...

Your commitment to C's needs never fails to astound me. You are an amazing person.

It's strange though because Amy's always had a struggle with socks. She was nine before she could put socks on herself and now, at 11, she still has problems and I find myself helping her.

CJ xx

Fiona said...

If J can remove his socks and shoes he'll do it!In the car, at home, outdoors...

Happy Elf Mom said...

I hate the itchy feeling of the socks sliding DOWN. Hey, whatever works! :)

Lilith said...

I made a weighted blanket for Katie when she was younger and it worked well for a time. When she was younger she would always stuff paper into her clothes. Even now she puts stuff into her socks and walks around with things in her socks such as keys, remote controls, to name a few. Katie eats zippers, I don't know how but all of the zippers on her clothes end up destroyed.

Glad the sweat bands worked. Katie hates having her nails cut too. I have to sit on her to cut them and for some reason toenails are worse than fingernails for her. Much screaming and crying involved which stops as soon as it's all over.

Sharon from Mama's Turn Now said...

When Jay was younger he would wear suspenders. It gave him the same sense that a weighed blanket did. He no longer needs them... although he does use all his pillows and stuffed animals to put on him at night. We have problems with sock seems. If the sock seem is not just perfect on his foot it will drive him crazy. I love how in tune you are with C. You are a great mom!

Akelamalu said...

Wow something so simple but so effective!

Tired Mom said...

So happy you found something that works! I have similar issues with my daughter, but she doesn't pull the socks up, she's constantly pulling and tugging at them around her toes. I've tried seamless socks, loose socks, tight socks, and no matter what, she's always creating holes in her socks around the toe area. Maybe I'll find my solution soon!

You're doing a great job; keep at it!

DeeAnn said...

Oh my word! Thanks for sharing! I am going to try that with Cody.

Maggie May said...

What a wonderful idea! Hope that eases C's torment about it.
I don't like my socks slipping down all the time either.
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Danna Banana said...

awesome awesome awesome!!!! I LOVE it when we find something that works!!! Good work!!

TherExtras said...

I love how a simple solution comes to people with an open mind!

Happy for you both!
Barbara

Yuji said...

Interesting!!!!!

I loved reading about how you followed along with C. Terrific!

I may have to try sweatbands for my son, too, though, in his case, not for his socks but actually on his wrists.

Debs Carr said...

I'm so glad the sweatbands work for C.

Paulene Angela said...

Wow I've never seen such exhausted socks, great tips there.

JoyMama said...

Ohhhh clever, clever mama!

Our problem with socks is that they are fun to take off, and even more fun to play with after coming off. :-)

Jorgo said...

well done Casdok - thank you so much for that link to "Us in a Bus." fantastic organisation and I was deeply moved by their approach and successes.
You are a positive force in a world that needs you.

Chris H said...

Bet you wish you has thought of that many, many socks ago! lol
Well done mate.

nitebyrd said...

Amazing that something so small can do so much! It's good to know that he helped.

jazzygal said...

Excellent, glad you found something that worked! Ithink C must be very happy that you connect and understand him so well :-)

xx Jazzy

Sunday said...

I think that is quite the ingenius solution to the issue.

Also, I have never heard of intensive interaction...thanks for giving me something new to research.

okasaneko said...

Genius solution, Casdok! I'd hate it too if my socks kept slipping down. Now, if I can only think of a way to keep clothes on my son- he does like his birthday suit best of all!

secret agent woman said...

Impressive!

Joy said...

Great idea! I hope they keep working for him.

Julie said...

that is great! I love the tip... it seems like we deal with sensory things as well and that so many people overlook how important it can be, like he just has to get over it. ugh.

Anonymous said...

Hi - I am really happy to find this. cool job!

Sandi McBride said...

C is such a lucky bunny having you for a mother! Admiration societies should be formed for the both of you!
hugs
Sandi

kathleen said...

:) Being the youngest of six..we had lots of hand me downs. Socks were the bane of my existence!! By the time I got a pair-the elastic was non existent. slouchy socks were just not the style with our school uniforms! I wound up using rubber bands..wish I had thought of the sweat bands!! :)

I think that it is wonderful that you found something that works...BTW-I too have stimmed along with my children in public..it has made for an interesting picture..I think a lovely one.

prof. M.Browne said...

I know that socks are a regular prob when I chat to parents. This blog has given me some useful pointers.