Friday, 11 January 2008

Mind and body tricks

If you've got an itch in your throat, scratch your ear. When the nerves in the ear get stimulated, they create a reflex in the throat that causes a muscle spasm, which cures the itch.

Having trouble hearing someone at a party or on the phone? Use your right ear…it's better at picking up rapid speech. But, the left is better at picking up music tones.

If you need to relieve yourself BADLY but you're not anywhere near a bathroom, fantasize about RELATIONS. That preoccupies your brain and distracts it.

Next time the doctor's going to give you an injection, COUGH as the needle is going in. The cough raises the level of pressure in your spinal canal, which limits the pain sensation as it tries to travel to your brain.

Clear a stuffed nose or relieve sinus pressure by pushing your tongue against the roof of your mouth…then pressing a finger between your eyebrows. Repeat that for 20 seconds…it causes the vomer bone to rock, which loosens your congestion and clears you up.

You can stop a toothache by rubbing ice on the back of your hand, on the webbed area between your thumb and index finger. The nerve pathways there stimulate a part of the brain that blocks pain signals from your mouth.

If you drink to much and the room starts spinning, put your hand on something stable. The reason: Alcohol dilutes the blood in the part of your ear called the cupula, which regulates balance. Putting your hand on something stable gives your brain another reference point…which will help make the world stop spinning.

Stop a nose bleed by putting some cotton on your upper gums…right behind the small dent below your nose…and press against it hard. Most of the bleeding comes from the cartilage wall that divides the nose, so pressing there helps get it to stop.

Nervous? Slow your heart rate down by blowing on your thumb. The vagus nerve controls your heart rate, and you can calm it down by breathing.

Finally, this one's totally USELESS, but a nice trick. Have someone stick their arm out to the side, straight, palm down. Press down on his wrist with two fingers. He'll resist, and his arm will stay horizontal. Then, have him put his foot on a surface that's half an inch off the ground, like a stack of magazines, and do the trick again. Because his spine position is thrown off, his arm will fall right to his side, no matter how much he tries to resist

Some more fun tricks for the kids to try.

39 comments:

katy said...

wow i am going to have to try some of these out, the tooth ache one sounds great i hate tooth ache. now who can i use to try the last one on mmmmm

DJ Kirkby said...

What do you mean by 'think about RELATIONS? Relatives?

Casdok said...

Relations with relatives or anyone!

frog ponds rock... said...

Thanks Casdok.. I love stuff like this..
cheers Kim

Elissa - Managing Autism said...

These are great Casdok!
The left and right ear thing is interesting - I do tend to favour my right ear when talking on the phone.

Crystal Jigsaw said...

What would we do without you, dear Casdok!! Great suggestions - thank you.

Crystal xx

Jen said...

One of the big ones that's been going around here lately (along the same lines), is that if you have a congested head, put Vicks Vapo Rub on your feet. Apparently it works miracles, at least for the people that I've talked to.

The clearing the nose one is interesting- I don't know about anyone else, but none of my autistic kids can figure out how to blow their nose!

Milla said...

these are fascinating. Am going to try out the arm thing on the kids tonight. Where DO you get them all from??

Casdok said...

Jen, nose blowing is a difficult one! Maybe an idea for a post! Cheers!
Milla, as C dosnt sleep much i get time to surf!

She's like the wind said...

Great, I've already tried the sinus decongesting while I was reading it. I'll try the arm one with the kids. Sorry I've not been over for a while, you update to frequently for me at the moment! Cheek of you LOL, I will come back and read everything soon.

Please note the change of name

selfemployedmum x

laughingwolf said...

thx cas, some i've heard before :D

Flea said...

Oh what fun. I'd be afraid that if I tried coughing while getting a shot, the nurse would miss and have to do it again. And when I'm nervous I've always blown on my palms. I'll have to try the thumb.

J said...

I have a friend who offers great suggestions along those lines, though she hasn't mentioned the tips you wrote about. Here's two more:

Holding kids upside down can cause a case of the giggles (unless child with autism is sensitive to the pose).

Rubbing a spot just above the elbow improves a person's mood.

Hammer said...

Cool tricks I'll try them.

inherwritemind1 said...

If you need to relieve yourself BADLY but you're not anywhere near a bathroom, fantasize about RELATIONS. That preoccupies your brain and distracts it.

Have you ever noticed that if you're driving home and you have to go to the bathroom, the urge becomes almost unbearable the nearer you are to your destination?

BBC said...

I keep a tube of Anesthetic Oral Gel on hand at all times. It's the best toothache treatment I've ever tried.

Jan said...

Great "alternative" ideas. Thanks

Joan said...

Wow...I'm going to come to you the next time I need medical advice. My husband was complaining about a sinus headache this morning so I had him do the roof of the mouth/between the eyebrows cure and, sure enough, he got relief. Now he's a believer in your powers!!!

Tom Foolery (TF) said...

I love these, thanks TFX

Wayne said...

If you drink too much and find that you need to vomit as you're leaving the party, hang yourself upside-down over a hedge and let it spew rotating your head in gradually increasing circles. You'll be amazed at the psychedelic pizza patterns you come up with.

dawn said...

I don't know where you find these thngs but I am always amused. I love the post, I put up one of my music challeges today and would love a brits point of view. Have a fantastic weekend!!!

smarmoofus said...

Oooh... I want to try the foot-on-a-raised-surface trick... *looks around for a guinea pig* Hrm. Nobody's here, so I guess I'll have to do it later. But, it sounds cool! I want to see if they really drop their arm unwillingly.

motherx said...

Loved the one about blowing on your thumb for nerves!!! must try that and tell Z to try it! Your blogs are always interesting and very helpful.

Marla said...

Very cool tips!

Real Live Lesbian said...

Great fun!

I can't talk now...my tongue's on the roof of my mouth! ;)

Annieye said...

I love your blog Casdok! I've just spent a fascinating half hour reading through it.

I wish I'd known about the sinus tip a few weeks ago.

You write so well Casdok, you should write a book about autism - that's if you haven't already.

Annie
x

Casdok said...

Ammieye, thank you for the compliment, but i think i will leave the book writing to others!

the mother of this lot said...

Where on earth do you find all this stuff?!!

alan said...

My wife's Dad always said if your feet were cold, put on a hat...seems to help, especially with my old balding head!

:o)

Thank you for the smiles and the kind words!

alan

Wade said...

Hey Cas,

I read this post from my friend's blog and thought of you immediately - you have definitely learned how to enjoy Holland!

Tate says hi, by the way!

W

WesterWitch/Headmistress said...

Brilliant - I am off now to get drunk and try the stable bit for stopping the room spining . . . LOL

I have a lot of things you can do on your hands to relieve various things . . toothache being one . . .from my days as a Reflexologist. Maybe I should do a quick blog.

And if you are ever desperate for chocolate - eat loads of it and then the craving goes . . . .

Niksmom said...

Wow, I'll have to try some of these! You always have such interesting posts! Love them. :-)

Preposterous Ponderings said...

You so know I am going to have to try that last one on my kids.

Cool stuff!

Angela said...

Liked all of these but couldn't do the cough thing with needles. I can barely breathe when I am going to be stuck with one.

Jordan said...

These are great - interesting and amusing!

Lianna said...

These tips are great fun! I've been told about the Vick's Vapor Rub on the feet to ease congestion...I'm going to try it!

Ian Lidster said...

Re the need to pee badly, at first I wondered what kind of relations you were referring to. You explained it. Phew.

vivavavoom said...

all so interesting, but I would refrain from coughing hard during an injection. maybe just clear the throat would help. since I give injections, there is too much of a chance for the reflex to cover your mouth and moving the body so much during it would not be a good idea. I do think if you play with your earlobe, with the arm not being used, it helps because that helps calm the sympathetic nervous system which is very heightened in people who are afraid of injections.... that old 'fight or flight' mechanism.
I can't help but think the last one if fascinating because of all the AK (muscle testing) people do in my profession. sometimes it is quackery and the off balance thing would make sense and change the results. very interesting casdok!!!

Patti said...

very interesting life tips, Casdok!

You find the coolest stuff