Monday, 14 January 2008

The art of nose blowing!

Nose blowing.
Jen mentioned nose blowing and I have see this around a few blog as for many autistic children this is a tricky art to learn.
If you don’t have an autistic child you may want to skip the next paragraph and see if you have the correct nasal etiquette below.
C at the tender age of 19 has not mastered it. Over the years he has done all manner of things like using me as a tissue, not to mention his clothes the furniture etc. Nose picking he has down to a fine art. But blowing still eludes him. (He also cant blow out of his mouth. Which apparently is the first step to blowing throw ones nose!) He has recently found if he shakes his head vigorously that….well I will let you visualise that one.


Apparently Most children are developmentally able to learn to blow their noses by around age 2 — some even earlier. Of course, whether or not your child is interested at that point is another matter.

As I don’t have any autistic nose blowing advice I thought I would hand this one over to you………….

For the rest of you out there did you know about;

Nasal Etiquette - A short guide to nose manners.
You should keep your nose clear of debris at all times. It is terribly impolite to wander around sniffing all the time. Worse, if your sinuses become blocked, you will be unable to breathe while eating or kissing and may embarrass yourself and any others that may be with you. Blockage can also cause sinusitis, commonly known as a sinus infection.
When blowing your nose--in order to remain polite--please make certain that you use a tissue handkerchief, or bandanna. Blow gently into the tissue while holding one nostril closed, or while alternating nostrils. Do not hold one nostril closed with a finger and blow out into space until your sinus is clear. This is called harking and is considered in terrible taste. It is very rude to leave things from your nose for others to step on. Also, inserting your finger into a nostril at any time is considered rude. For those of you who think you are alone when driving in traffic and feel that would be a good time to go for a dig: We can see you! You know who you are
Proper use of the tissue is important. Fold your tissue carefully after blowing your nose, be sure to wipe away any mucous that may have collected around your nostrils. Also, be certain to look in the mirror after doing this. Nothing is more repellent than seeing someone return from the bathroom with a glistening green friend freshly planted on their upper lip, stuck in a moustache or beard, or worse yet, dangling from an errant nose hair. Remove all traces of your activity before appearing before people.
There are some people who constantly scratch or rub at the base of their nose to dislodge dried nose particles. They think they are clever and look like they are scratching an itch and that others are oblivious to their semi passive nose picking. To those of you who do this: We know what you are doing! Do you think we're totally ignorant?
Nose appearance
Nose hairs are, in all cases, unsightly blemishes on an otherwise pleasant nose. You should keep your hairs trimmed so as not to make others uncomfortable. A good rule of thumb is: If you can see them, so can everyone else.
It is considered highly improper to use your nose as a spoon rack. Some people enjoy sticking spoons to their noses in restaurants. What they do not typically know is that there are roving bands of spoon thieves in various parts of the world, and if one happens to steal the spoon your nose is attached to you will spend the remainder of your life with two hideous holes in the front of your face. If you wish to continue to have a nose with which to be polite, please ceases this activity before it's too late!
Important: If you have a large nose, please do not get it pierced. This will only accentuate the size of your nose and make you look clownish. If this still does not deter you, be certain to get lots of other facial piercing and tattoos in order to offset your enormous nose.
Miscellaneous
Using your nose to hum is quite acceptable, in most circumstances. It is generally considered impolite, however, to hum while you have a cold. You might drip and soil your clothing.
Breathing through your nose is always considered polite. Breathing through your mouth all the time makes you look oafish and leaves you open to drooling. Drool is, unfortunately, outside the scope of this node.
In general use your best judgement. If you are doing something with your nose that would offend you if you saw someone else doing it, you should probably alter your behaviour.
So now you knows!

46 comments:

Elissa - Managing Autism said...

Humming with your nose... never thought of that...

And it seems that tissue folding is more polite than scrunching...

Great post!

DJ Kirkby said...

N3S is 5 next Sunday and still trying to master nose blowing. We too are used as human tissues!

Chris H said...

Niiiiiice! Just as an aside, our local postmaster sniffs and snorts all the time... he is DISGUSTING! And Griffin picks his nose all the time, I swear we don't feed him enough!

Inthemud said...

Thanks for that!! Most informative! useful to know the correct etiquette for looking after ones nose!

My hubby thinks it's amusing to pick his nose and wave a bogey around!! So Yucky!!!!!!!!
Remind me, why am I still married??

katy said...

wonderful stuff, so is the contents of our noses, so where does it all come from?!
and that last photo, tell me it is not real poor Dumbo lol

Jen said...

Great article! I thought that I'd already heard of or seen anything that could possibly be done with nasal secretions, but the humming is new to me too!

laughingwolf said...

needed this entertainment today, thx cas! lol

Cait O'Connor said...

Wonderful!
I always remember learning in biology that humming clears your sinuses. Funny how things stay in your mind........

Fungus said...

this all reminds me of the joke of "what's the difference between bogies and brussels sprouts..."

btw the Americans have a device that is effective in sucking out snotty baby noses with the minimum of fuss... now if this could be scaled up to about 5 litres and maybe a bar of vacuum it might just work for the average teenager.

Christy said...

My nose blowing etiquette is poor. In fact, I believe I wake neighbors out of deep sleeps when night-time nose blowing is necessary.

Casdok said...

Thanks Fungus, not sure that C would let me anywhere near his nose with a hoover! But certainly a thought!!

Patti said...

This is really funny, Casdok. You are too much.

Happy Monday!

mommy~dearest said...

Ah yes, I love the baby-booger-sucker. If you can get the angle down, it works like a charm.

I recently found out that I blow my nose incorrectly! I made fun of Companion because he blows his nose one nostril at a time. I'm finding out that I am the only person in America who blows both sides at the same time!

Gledwood said...

O I hate it when you blow your nose and go about feeling so much better, go shopping, chat up 17 people in a bar, come home 5 hrs later only to realize you've had great horrible bogies on display the entire time!

And on another tangent: handkerchiefs. Victorian WASHABLE snotrags. Ukk!

Marla said...

Nose blowing...yes...we struggle with that here too.

Vi vi vi vooom!!!!!!!! said...

Between you with the nose blowing and DJ with the hand washing, we should never get sick again!

Lane said...

lol! And just because you're in your car doesn't mean we can't see you, Mr Executive Man at the traffic lights:-)

Love the elephant photo!

Crystal Jigsaw said...

Between you and DJ today, I have learnt a few very useful tings.

Crystal xx

laurentius rex said...

I was never one of those people who could plug one nostril, blow hard and direct a stream of snot onto the pavement as was the wont in pre handkerchief times.

It was an accomplishment open only to old men in flat caps.

vivavavoom said...

wow....I did not know this. that is funny because my son has a very mild form of autism and a sensory issue and he had a very hard time learning to blow his nose. My daughter does not have the 'gifts'he does and was trying to do it herself at 18 months.

very interesting...thanks Casdok!

Tom Foolery (TF) said...

Bless you, very informative. TFX

motherx said...

Dont talk to me about nose habits! Have to say Z is not too bad but W is so gross! all the horrible habits you have mentioned he does and doesnt seem to bat an eyelid. He cant blow his nose and ends up spitting in the tissue then trying to eat it!!!! UUUgh.

Angela said...

My son is starting to get the nose blowing thing and every once and awile he will blow his nose without a tisue, yuck.

Lianna said...

Fortunately, Gabe mastered bubble making and started blowing his nose just after he turned two (I thought that was an interesting point you made about one step being before the other!)

However, he is now working on picking his nose (especially in public). An art of it's own, I'm sure. He does have the "wipe my nose on mommy's shoulder" down pat, though.

LOL! Today was a great read!

Omega Mum said...

Another very wry but moving post

Amanda said...

Hmm.

I still pick my nose. I've gotten no end of grief for this, tried as hard as I can not to do it, and I can't not do it. It happens all the time. Even if I put all my energy into it, I just can't avoid doing it. It happens the moment I stop thinking about it.

So I've eventually decided people just have to deal with it. I wash my hands or wear gloves before I do anything important. But I just can't seem to avoid doing this no matter what I try, and have decided I can't self-flagellate the rest of my life about it, even if the rest of the world seems to want me to as some kind of penance. I also can't avoid picking scabs. At all. It just happens no matter how hard I try.

I was 25 years old before I figured out nose-blowing, and I wrote about it in this post.

But I'm still not sure I do it to your satisfaction as "proper". The thing is until the year before that, I hadn't figured it out at all, in any matter, even some of the grosser ones you talk about (which I had to do before I could do it "right", but I still don't always manage to do it "right").

I just don't know when people will stop making me feel like crap about the picking part.

A Mother's Place is in the Wrong said...

Well,Casdok, nosey thoughts - you have a very interesting time it seems! I don't know that I'd cope so well with all that! Sleepy students are easy peasy by comparison.
Margot xx

Preposterous Ponderings said...

Hell I know plenty of grown men who still don't know how to blow their damn noses properly!

leslie said...

Interesting post! Never thought about it in such detail as you have. My sister has chronic sinus problems and is always sniffing and snorting (ICK!) and doesn't think twice about squirting stuff up her nose in public to relieve herself. DOUBLE ICK!!!

Babaloo said...

Brilliant post! Now I'm well up to speed on nose etiquette. Thank you for this this great post.

SignGurl said...

This was one of the funniest posts I've read this evening! Thanks for sharing.

Kellan said...

That last paragrah is so true - right? And that last picture! Thanks for all the info.

Hey - thanks too for coming over and leaving the well wishes - I am fine - only need to remember about that bra thing the next time I ever have to call 911. Hope to see you tomorrow. Kellan

Mrs. C said...

Iw. Iw. Iw.

At least the post wasn't about toilet training. Though I suppose that's next LOL!!

Kelley said...

Boo is like C. Cant' or wont. I am not sure but the kid walks around with his knuckle up his nose all the freaking time...

*gaffaw* at that post.

Had to give it two tries though cause the first time I was eating!

Little Wing said...

Fun post, Casdok!

deb said...

Katie has never been able to blog her nose. I have to clean it out for her. I love being a mum!

Eileen said...

This really was helpful. So many of the kids I work with, have such trouble with this. It really is difficult for them.

You amaze me with your ability to find such helpful/interesting/thought provoking information.

XOXO

graceunderautism said...

we are 50/50 on the nose blowing. The nose picking however, is endless. UGH.

MY OWN WOMAN... said...

What do you do when your nose goes on strike? .......Picket!

KC's Blog said...

K.C. can't blow his little nose either. He does wipe his nose on me alot though (icky)! I still use the little syringe on his nose cause he can be totally plugged up and not be able to blow his nose. It is a very hard thing to learn to do.

But Why? said...

I'm sure there is a reason that we have evolved for our forefingers to fit perfectly inside our nostrils...

Paul F. said...

Construction workers do a lot of harking.

KAREN CLARKE said...

How interesting - my friend, who's daughter is non-verbal autistic, recently mentioned that she'd been trying to teach her to blow her nose, without any progress. She'd assumed it could be linked to her autism, but wasn't sure so I'll mention this to her.

nitebyrd said...

Wow! Very educational. Thanks! :)

Nicki Mann said...

I always had trouble blowing my nose when I was kid... until I was MUCH older than two! For some reason I hated blowing my nose and would often suck the snot IN, while holding a Kleenex to my nose so people would think I was actually blowing it out!

Sueblimely said...

It was one of those moments to celebrate, an achievement to surpass few others. My son mastered blowing his nose at age 17 - and can now do it properly - when prompted. He still does not seem feel the tickling sensation I get if I do not get to a tissue in time.
Now when reminded he will blow and blow and blow until reminded to stop. I have visions of him turning blue and floating off like Violet in Charlie and Chocolate factory.