Tuesday, 4 September 2007

Progress

A few months ago i met with a group of mums with young autistic children. I was very impressed with the amount of services they receive, compaired to the support we got all those years ago!!
In 'those' days (i have a birthday approaching so feel old!) there was not much information around. I didn't have a PC and my medical book just said; refrigerator mother and ineducable. The only aspie authors around were Donna Williams and Temple Grandin. Their books were my bibles.
Now there is more support and a wealth of information at the touch of your fingers on the Internet. Especially by autistic people. So i sincerely hope this generation and the ones to follow will have an easier time in a more understanding world.
C and i do our bit! We educate the public every time we go out!! And the schools that he has attended have been on very steep learning curves with him!
However i do feel very fortunate i did not have him 20 or even 30 years earlier. I very much feel for those children and families.
So even though i may not always feel it, progress is happening.
And long may it continue.

4 comments:

Billy Boy said...

To think of places like The Royal Earlswood Hospital, one of the first places to open, stories of how they did it in the past, a chain around the waist to prevent someone to get off the toilet!.Four staff caring for 30+ to a ward, rows of beds
Even today in some eastern block countries they are sent to the basement with no windows,never to be seen.
Lets hope these changes continue to improve, but we all need to remind the government these front line services need to be given money. How many times have I heard, no money and over spend.

Casdok said...

Yes maybe i should have mentioned other countries to.
Does anyone know what they do in other countries with autism?

Elizabethd said...

My daughter works as a psychiatric nurse in Canada. She has an 11 year old boy who has mild Aspergers syndrome. Canada has a caring policy but is desperately underfunded.
FRance, where I live, well.....it seems to be a 'special homes' policy here, without the integration that England tried for after the 1979 Warnock report.
Hope you are bearing up.

Anonymous said...

Yes.
I feel very emotional when I think of the families from 20 yrs + ago too. I'm still trying to purge my sadness for my son.