Saturday, 15 September 2007

I met an angel



A few weeks ago i met an angel.

No not this one (unfortunatly!!)

C and I were travelling on a bus, he has got much better at coping on the bus. We sit at the back (as there is more leg room) and I sit away from him, as he prefers space.
When the bus goes fast in a straight line he ferociously shakes his head and squeals very loudly. When the bus stops he bangs his head on the window. Of course everyone on the bus turns round to see where the noise is coming from. Because I was sitting on the other side it must have looked like C was on his own.
Sitting in front of me was a young boy with blonde hair. He kept watching C out of the corner of his eye, and every now and again would turn round and glare at me.
Eventually the young boy asked me in a very curt tone what I was staring at! So I told him I was watching my son enjoying the bus going fast. He looked relieved as he thought I was laughing 'at' C. He then went on to tell me he was one of 7 children, all his 6 brothers and sisters were somewhere on the autistic spectrum. So he had realised that C was autistic, and because he had seen me smiling at C he thought I was laughing at him, and the young boy was going to defend him.
A member of the public, defend my son! That has never happened to us before. I was overwhelmed.
We carried on chatting, he told me a bit of his life. Suddenly C let out a really loud strange noise, the bus driver stopped, got out and went round the bus to look at the engine!!! Everyone on the bus laughed as we all realised what had happened. The young boy jumped off the bus and went and told the bus driver, as C by this time was not happy that the bus had stopped!!!
Soon we were off and soon it was time to get off.
I will never forget that young boy who was prepared to stand up for my son. I wish more members of the public would be more understanding.

27 comments:

lampworkbeader said...

A true angel. What a lovely thing to happen.

Crystal Jigsaw said...

There are some decent people out there, even when it comes to autism. We get stares, comments even and I have learnt to ignore it. I used to get embarrassed and try to explain to total strangers that my daughter is autistic and couldn't help her behaviour. Then one day, I woke up. It's the strangers who need to explain themselves, for being ignorant.

Crystal xx

Elizabethd said...

How nice to meet someone so caring. It must have made your day to find that he was on your side, and not, as so often, making a judgement on your son.
PS....Even better if he'd looked like the photo!!

WesterWitch/Headmistress said...

That is amazing, but then again it is sad too that it is amazing and sad that you write about the rare person who understood you son rather than the rare person who didn't. Would that there were more 'Angels' in the World.

Oh and I believe the one in the picture blongs to Un Peu . . . .

Helen said...

Thanks for coming over to my blog - how did you find me (I am really curious)? Thanks so much for commenting, I loved coming back here and just would love to get known to you and your son!

This episode is truly lovely!

I realised that different countries deal very differently with unusual behaviour of any diabled person in public.

In my home town (when I was working with disabled grown ups) I was usually ignored, got rude comments like (can't you keep him/her quiet) or else.

When we were staying at a vacation in the Netherlands, the neighbours invited us over because they wanted to get known to us, since we had three 'special' grown ups with us. They did not mind at all that our dinner was loud, chaotic and it was hard to keep our conversation running.

Going to the restaurant in the Netherlands we were not ignored or avoided, but people joined our table to ask where we came from. The waiters were not irritated and shooted us no glances but instead asked, if they could bring us some extra dessert.

This really made me think and I will always remember how much I felt the difference!

Casdok said...

I honestly couldnt tell you how i found you! I look at other blogs, i then look at the blogs they look at and so on and so on!
There truely are some fasinating blogs out there!

ChrisH said...

That's so reassuring to read that there are people who care and are prepared to stick up for others. No wonder you were moved.

vic said...

That must have been so nice for you. What a difference it must have made to you to have someone that understood.

Milla said...

nice story. Even the talking to strangers bit would have been a fillip but that he was riding to your son's defence is special indeed.

Jade said...

What a wonderful story! And what a small gift that was for you as well. A little humanity :-)

@themill said...

It often surprises me where we find kindness.

Justin said...

A smile can be sparked by the most unlikely of sources. It's nice to know there is still kindness in this world.

Oh, a quick question, how did you find that picture of me?

Jonah said...

I have a friend who has Asperger Syndrome like me, and he and I were laughing over some of our own misadventures with autism on Friday, including some stories about my experiences meeting other autistic folk. I described the wonder and relief of having a conversation in which the person who says, "I can think better if you stop looking at me" is the other person for a change. A kid listening got very upset thinking that we were making fun of autistic people.

Bare Bones Gardener said...

Hey I see we ran a similiar theme on the same day.

Sad to see it was a universal problem for ASD people and their carers.

Pondside said...

Lovely to know that angels walk among us!

Exmoorjane said...

Oh bless his heart.

Camille said...

What a great story. I'm glad it's a true one!

mutating missionary said...

as a teacher, I too feel protective. Thanks for your courage.

InTheFastLane said...

Thanks for your comments on my blog. It is good to see that there are good people out there. At the school I work at, we have some autistic kids. One of my favorite thinks he is a lion. One day he was referred to my office because he kept threatening to eat people. But, what else is a lion supposed to do? So, we talked about the food chain and decided that humans really don't taste all that good.

UN PEU LOUFOQUE said...

I think you are right you found an angel.

Samantha said...

What a lovely person! This has certainly made me smile today!

Suzanne said...

Hooray for this Angel on earth!

Elissa said...

Sounds like the kind of person we all hope our kids make as a friend!

PS Thanks for sharing your lovely stories.

Traci said...

What an angel. That is the same attitude that I want my boys to have! Thanks for visiting my blog!
Traci

Nancy said...

::: goose bumps :::

I believe in guardian angels, how nice you had the chance to meet one.

Dad Stuff said...

That's great! People like that are few and far between, but they are on the increase. Although slowly, awareness is spreading.
What a good experience.

mommy~dearest said...

Wow...I have goosebumps. That is absolutely wonderful, and gives me hope.

My son is 5 years old, and everyday I wish that he'll find that one "special friend". Someone who will stick up for him and "interpret" for him, someone to watch his back, and help him feel like he's not alone.

It's great that a total stranger was ready to take up for your son. Good for him.